Monday, March 1, 2010




Foreign Hut

My transformation project the “Foreign Hut” was created with the medium of plastic forks and held together by plastic welding the joints with a soldering iron. The medium turned out to be tougher than expected to work with and to achieve my original goal, however, I feel the end result has worked well. It has a concaved top, like some overseas huts or homes, as well as the walls, and are made with the prong end of the forks. The frame work was done with the handle end of the fork and cut to different lengths. The color of the forks are all white and I decided not to use any colored ones so it would be more pure. Once food has touched a fork it is dirty so pure white seemed right.

The final design for the “Foreign Hut” came to me as I was playing with the medium and noticed that it was very similar to some huts or homes that I’ve seen while overseas with my father. The use of forks to build a hut or home of the foreign type is a kind of contradiction because the fork is not as used as chopsticks for eating in some parts of the World both here and overseas. One would not think of a home when looking at a fork and would not think about a foreign hut or foreign anything. Usually we think of just food of some sort, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and nothing to do with the fork. The fork has become just a tool for our use and nothing more, or has it?

1 comment:

  1. Tony, this blog is super spectacular. Keep it up. I can't really see that you have taken to this as a way of cataloging all of your favorite glass artists (and others for that matter). You are way ahead on your artist entries and your required entries are awesome... how does it feel to be such an overachiever? One suggestion is to title your artist entries (just to make it easier for me so I can know what I'm looking at)

    ReplyDelete